Launching your publicity campaign can be a daunting task. You’ve spent years writing your masterpiece, and now you’re faced with writing a killer press release that gets the media’s attention. Here are a few tips for writing your press release:
1. The most important piece of a press release is the headline, so make sure it packs a punch! Look for news, current events, holidays, comparable movie or book titles, and attention-catching happenings that you can tie your book to.
2. Be creative (but on topic), and try to send out a new release every 4 to 6 weeks.
3. Make it newsworthy, objective, and accurate.
4. In the body of the release include the most important information (who, what, where, when, why, how) in the first two paragraphs and the least important information at the bottom, in the “inverted pyramid” style.
5. Explain the relevance and benefit of your book to the intended audience.
6. Make sure the release isn’t self-centered and does not sound like a sales pitch–it should read like a newspaper or magazine story.
7. For increased visibility, use relevant keywords and terms that the search engines will latch on to.
8. List your book’s bibliographic data (ISBN, pub date, price, page count, etc.) and display the cover image.
9. Be sure to include your contact information for people who want more information.
If you are the kind of person who would rather just have someone do it for you, there are various services that can meet your needs. We recommend that Christian authors or publishers looking for affordable, quality services contact Elle Petty over at Christian Books Today. She can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org